Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Ice Storm of 2009

Last week we experienced for the first time an Ice Storm. To put it honestly, it wasn't all that bad, except for the bitter cold, hard and slippery terrain, and lack of power for a couple days. The worst effect of the storm was the fact that our water lines froze when the power went out, and it took forever to get them thawed. We did have plenty of drinking water, but we had to haul it up from the Spring. We now have power and water back and are enjoying life getting back to normal.



Matthew made chocolate snow ice cream


Daniel prefers vanilla snow ice cream.



The kids enjoying their frosty treat.




Joey and Sam drawing in the snow




Matthew doing something to a truck

Daniel's Alter-Ego. Chad the Snowboarder.




Trees Covered in Ice








Our dog Daisy





The fence.





Samuel with an icicle










Rachel and Sam by the creek.





The Spring never froze, in fact it was flowing better than ever after the storm.


10 comments:

The Stricklen Family said...

Wow! That was quite a storm. We are sure thankful everyone made it through safe and sound :)
RG, you know you can delete all those spaces between pictures and there won't be that long span between them. Thanks for sharing those awful, cold pics with us - it's only the sweet, beautiful faces we miss so much that make those pictures not look totally dismal!
Love you all!
Aunt Molly

The Dischers said...

Thanks for updating!

The "trees covered in snow" picture is just beautiful. How fun to make snow ice cream!

Tell "Chad, the snowboarder" he's one cool dude - with his "touk"

Glad you all are through with the ice storm. YOU MADE IT!

Love,
A. Beth

The Stricklen Family said...

Your spring looks sooo pretty! It is amazing the way God made it so that it won't freeze (I guess because it is running water?)
I don't think everything looks "dismal"! That sounded awful ~ That is not how I meant it! Your property is beautiful - just looked very cold and colorless at the time :)

Franklin Family said...

We're so jealous! We didn't get snow. We only got ice. It looked like snow in the grass, but it was so slippery we just kept falling down. How come you guys got snow? That's just not right! Now we're all bummed out. We had some really cool pics of the ice storm too, but never mind.
Mr. Franklin

Kitty said...

I know it'll be very different from what I'm used to, but I don't mind cold, and it sure looked pretty! :o) I bet it was a chore to take care of the animals though! :o)

Love,
~Kitty~

Kitty said...

Oh and PS - the comments were absolutely halarious!!!!!! :o)

Justin - jt400 said...

Looks like nice weather! At least you get some variety, all we get is rain!

The Pollock Family said...

I LOVE the pic of Sam by the tractor. Beautiful icy pictures, although I know it was miserable. When we were in the Rockies a few weeks ago and the temp. was -2, it was beautiful but cold to the bone!! I love the ice and snow only if I'm sitting by a fire while I'm lookin at it! Call me chicken, I'll except it.

Love y'all,
Mrs. P

Btw: The spring still looks beautiful. Brings back memories

Bonnie said...

Some of your pictures were just beautiful -- from afar! We were so glad to see y'all last week and to see for ourselves that all is well. When we went up the drive to our place in Missouri, we had to chain saw branches that had been broken off by the ice storm (which you know already, since we used your chain saw and some of your muscles!)

When we visited, it was pretty pleasant, although I am like Mrs. P -- I love the snow and cold, as long as I am looking at it through a cozy window!

Love,
Grandmother (who is putting
pictures of the snow Sunday morning on Clearly Seen!)

Anonymous said...

"How many of y'all readers are true Florida Crackers"

Not me, but I dig your blog..